UNC Advocates for MD-PhD Women in Science: Breaking the Glass Ceiling is a student organization at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill which has been founded for the purpose of promoting the success, recognition, and excellence of women in academic medicine and medical research. Further, we seek to understand the underrepresentation of women in MD-PhD programs and advocate for the success and recognition of women MD-PhDs.
We strive to achieve these goals through:
- Educating our peers and community on the barriers faced by women in academic medicine and research through article discussions and book clubs
- Providing our members with practical career development skills through workshops
- Creating vertical professional networks to foster mentor and sponsor relationships with successful faculty
- Mentoring current undergraduates to encourage more women to pursue dual degree careers
- Creating peer networks to facilitate future collaborations and support through an annual Southeast Symposium for Advocates of Women Physician Scientists
Through these activities we hope to stimulate thought, discussion, and start a conversation on what we can all do to change the status quo.
While this group is focused on the MD-PhD career track, our events are open to all graduate and medical students regardless of gender.